Director of Organizational Development & Employee Engagement
Amherst College invites applications for the Director of Organizational Development & Employee Engagementposition. The Director of Organizational Development & Employee Engagementis a full-time, 52 week per year position, job group and level SM-4.
Under the direction of the Chief Human Resources Officer, the Director of Organizational Development & Employee Engagement is responsible for managing and supporting the assessment of organizational needs and the design, implementation and evaluation of programs that facilitate the professional development and continuous learning of staff, supervisors and emerging leaders. In addition, the incumbent will lead the development and implementation of all internal communication and employee engagement strategies, programs and events to ensure initiatives are in line with the strategic priorities and with a focus on improving culture and creating a positive work environment for all employees. This is a high profile position requiring strong collaboration and communication skills, the ability to influence and develop productive partnerships, and to develop creative, innovative solutions. The incumbent takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce, and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
- Design and implement organizational structures and operating models that elevate employee and organizational effectiveness
- Conducts training and development needs assessment and designs and implement training and educational methodologies and programs that enhance employee's knowledge and skills and create paths for continuous learning and career growth
- Facilitate the understanding of change management and develop plans that ensure human aspects of change are considered, foster commitment, minimize resistance, align culture, and enable the desired end state
- Reinforce organizational culture through the development and implementation of programs and strategies
- Assess and analyze targeted stakeholders to enable strategic design and implementation of initiatives
- Develop long-term strategies and key initiatives to promote and achieve a culture of excellence and employee engagement
- Oversee the overall production of internal communications, events and program materials, including newsletters, use of social media, etc., for the purpose of communicating critical information to employees
- Ensures all communications reaches different generations, diverse employees, and various levels of education
- Develops employee recognition strategies, including reviewing, evaluating, and making recommendations for departmental recognition programs
- Participates in ongoing analysis of key engagement trends and develop, evaluate and implement new processes to continually enhance our culture
- Collects timely data to support institutional initiatives through focus groups, surveys, town halls, one-on-one interviews, and other methodology; evaluates and applies the data to support decisions
- Assists in the overall management of the office, providing support and guidance as needed
- Assists in the development and implementation of strategies to improve employee relations
- Participates in committees and special projects
- Interacts and collaborates with other members of the Human Resources Staff
- Performs other duties as assigned
- All employees are expected to participate in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources, Psychology, Organizational Development, or related field
- 5 -10 years of direct experience managing organizational development
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to think strategically
- Comfortable managing difficult situations, showing a high level of professional maturity, resiliency and adaptability
- Proven ability to develop strong, respectful relationships, to inspire confidence and to build trust
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, Word and Power Point, employee data management systems, and able to learn new software programs
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal, customer service, time management, and project management skills
- Supervisory experience
- Knowledge and familiarity with federal and state employment law.
- Prior experience working with and contributing to a diverse workplace
- Master's Degree in Human Resources, Psychology, Organizational Development, or related field, PHR or SPHR, SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP Certification
- High level understanding of key organizational development concepts and strategies
Interestedcandidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities to apply. The College is committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff.
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!